Gluten-Free Bechamel Sauce
1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, peeled, whole
1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
1 tbsp (15 mL) Highwood Crossing Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) white pepper
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring milk with bay leaf and garlic to a simmer.
2. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a second saucepan, then add flour and whisk to blend.
4. Cook over low heat, continually whisking for 1‐2 minutes, keeping it smooth and
cooking without browning.
5. Remove bay leaf and garlic from milk.
6. Slowly add milk to flour mixture in pan while whisking to avoid lumps.
7. Continue to cook and whisk until sauce thickens, 3‐4 minutes.
8. Season with salt and white pepper.
9. Serve immediately.