Sourdough Pizza Dough Recipe
Yields 4 x 280g pizza doughballs
34g Highwood Crossing Artisan Bread & Pizza Flour
34g Water (room temperature)
34g Ripe sourdough starter
607g Highwood Crossing Artisan Bread & Pizza Flour
34g Highwood Crossing Whole Grain Red Fife Flour
357g Water #1 (room temperature)
25g Water #2 (room temperature)
14g Sea Salt (fine)
100g Ripe Levain (from above)
Levain – 9:00 a.m.
- Mix the levain ingredients in a jar and leave them covered at a warm temperature (23°C – 24°C) to ripen for about 3 hours.
Mix Main Dough – 12:00 p.m.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the flour, water #1, and ripe levain.
- Mix on low speed for 2 – 3 minutes until the ingredients come together with no dry bits remaining.
- Increase mixer speed to medium & continue mixing for another 3 – 4 minutes until the dough begins to smooth.
- Scrape dough off hook & allow dough to rest covered in the bowl for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt & water #2. Mix on low speed for about 2 minutes until salt & water are incorporated.
- Increase mixer speed to medium about 4 – 5 minutes or until the dough grabs around the hook and is smooth and elastic.
Bulk Fermentation – 12:15 p.m.
- Transfer the dough to the bulk fermentation container, cover and allow to sit at warm temperature (23°C – 24°C) for about 3 hours. The dough does not require any stretches or folds.
Divide, Shape & Cold-Proof – 3:15 p.m. (retard overnight)
- Scrape dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into four doughballs approximately 280g each.
- Shape dough tightly into balls and place in lightly oiled proofing container.
- Tightly cover and refrigerate overnight, or for up to 2 days.
Warm Proof – about 3 hours before you want to start cooking
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and allow it to finishing proofing at room temperature for about 3 hours before shaping and cooking.
Shape, Dress and Cook
- Pre-heat your oven to desired temperature and prepare sauce and other toppings.
- Flour a work surface and the tops of the dough balls.
- Scoop one of the doughballs onto the floured work surface and gently stretch and shape into the desired shape and size using your hands. (280g doughballs make about a 10” pizza.)
- Slide the shaped dough onto to a lightly floured peel, top as desired, slide topped dough into oven and cook until ready.